Monday, February 18, 2008

Quote,Unquote....

I love to watch movies. Except I don't go to the cinema to watch them. Instead, I buy DVD's and watch them at home.

If you're like me, you'll have those favourite movie lines that'll stick in your head, fully or just some part of it.

A few ago, AFI (The American Film Institute) has come up with its list of 100 memorable quotes in Cinema. I kinda agree with its their choice of top quotes, but I have my favourites of my own. Here is my list of top / favourite movie lines / quotes, in no particular order.

1. No, Shit does not happen. Shit takes time. Shit takes effort.
- Elmo McElroy (Samuel L. Jackson) in The 51st State, 2002.

2. Don't be a guy, be a man. The world is full of guys.
- Corey Flood (Lily Taylor) in Say Anything, 1989.

3. No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
- John Keating ( Robin Williams) in Dead Poets Society, 1989.

4. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
- Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey) in The Usual Suspects, 1995.

5. Cigarettes and coffee, man, that's a combination.
- Iggy Pop (as Himself) in Coffee and Cigarettes, 2003.

6. Life does not start and stop at your convenience, you miserable piece of shit!
- Walter Sobchak (John Goodman) in The Big Lebowski, 1998.

7. I'm tired of the fantasy, because it doesn't really exist. And there are never really any surprises.
- Rob Gordon (John Cusack) in High Fidelity, 2000.

8. The only constant is change.
- Dan Dunne (Ryan Gosling) in Half Nelson, 2006.

9. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?
- Rob Gordon (John Cusack) in High Fidelity, 2000.

10. You say 'I love you.' What do you want?written instructions?
- Joe Reaves (Anthony LaPaglia) in Empire Records, 1995.

11. This... is Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Stockholm. 1963... two masters of freedom, playing in a time before their art was corrupted by a zillion cocktail lounge performers who destroyed the legacy of the only American artform - JAZZ
- Chad (Todd Louiso) in Jerry Maguire, 1996.

12. It's the one that says bad motherfucker.
- Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) in Pulp Fiction, 1994.

13. I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right in the babymaker.
- Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) in Anchorman:The Legend of Rob Burgundy, 2004.

14. I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fuckin' bastard.
- Seth Gecko (George Clooney) in From Dusk Till Dawn, 1996.

15. After all, we're not fucking stupid. At least, we're not that fucking stupid.
- Mark Renton (Ewan McGregor) in Trainspotting, 1996.

16. Of course. What kind of mental patient kills herself? That's just crazy.
- John Constantine (Keanu Reeves) in Constantine, 2005.

17. The only thing worse than a favor is a favor involving money
- Mark (Peter Sarsgaard) in Garden State, 2004.

18. I'm constitutionally incapable of making eye-contact with a woman I don't know.
- Joel Barish (Jim Carrey) in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004.

19. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.
- Bob Harris (Bill Murray) in Lost in Translation, 2003.

20. You see, the guy I am now is not the guy I was then. If the guy I was then met the guy I am now he'd beat the shit out of me. Those are the facts.
- Stevo (Mathew Lillard) in SLC Punk!, 1998.

I know that some of the movies mentioned above are not everyone's cup of tea. But hey, it's my list isn't it?

At least, these are the ones that stick in my head.

Better something than nothing.

No comments: